Sunday, April 28, 2013

Finally signs of life... and spring

This past week the weather finally started getting a bit milder and without snow. It took almost 3 weeks but the seeds I planted outside are starting to pop up. First signs was the lettuce in the container. Then the peas and spinach. Now I see kale, beets and romaine. I'm not surprised that I don't see the carrots yet, they are always the slowest to show signs.

I'm almost ready to setup the automatic watering system again. The long range forecast appears to be mild enough that I won't have to worry about freezing water lines at night and I'm also getting tired of lugging water every evening to water the seedlings. As soon as I can tell where the sprouts are coming up for everything then I'll weave the water lines around the plants.

Also for weeks now I keep checking the asparagus with disappointment because there have been no signs of life. I was starting to worry that I'd lost the plants because everyone else I know has their asparagus coming up but finally last night I spotted the first spear. Yay!!! This is the year I finally get to cut some and I would've been severely disappointed if I lost them.


No comments:

Post a Comment